Community

Community

Newport, RI to Rye, NY

By Chris Szepessy

Newport, RI to Rye, NY

By Aurora Meunier Mott Editor’s note: In this most recent Coop’s Kaper, an enthusiastic young sailor enjoyed her first taste of overnight sailing on a delivery after the Bermuda 1-2 Race. I recently got an amazing opportunity to sail with Peter Becker on the Young American Sailing Academy’s J/105 Young American from Newport, RI to Rye, NY. While I was at work I got a text from Joe Cooper, my high school sailing coach, asking if I…

Community

Sails Up 4 Cancer Regatta Weekend Rocked!

By Chris Szepessy

Sails Up 4 Cancer Regatta Weekend Rocked!

By Courtney Moore, CMB Creative Group 2023 marks the thirteenth year of Sails Up 4 Cancer (SU4C). Leading the local charge to assist families and individuals going through the trauma and treatment of cancer, Sails Up 4 Cancer has become synonymous with hope. The Annual Regatta Weekend at Mystic Shipyard in Mystic, CT started off with a Cornhole tournament on Friday, June 16. Despite inclement weather, 32 teams from across New England came out and threw bags…

Community

It’s Fall Boat Show Time!

By Chris Szepessy

It’s Fall Boat Show Time!

Newport International Boat Show Presented by BankNewport September 14 – 17, Newport, RI Walk the docks and view a spectacular display of shiny new sailboats and powerboats, some making their first ever debut in the United States. newportboatshow.com   Newport Brokerage Boat Show September 14 – 17, Safe Harbor Newport Shipyard Newport, RI This show features the largest collection of quality brokerage sailboats and powerboats from 40 to 140 feet. brokerageboatshow.com   Progressive Norwalk Boat Show…

Community

Maverick Marketing: Bob Johnstone Writes the Book

By Tom Darling

Maverick Marketing: Bob Johnstone Writes the Book

I recently had a gam with the co founder of J Boats, the company that launched 16,000 boats beginning 1977. I listened to him spin me the history behind his dedication to performance boating. I knew that already. But how many 80-somethings write a memoir and go on the road to promote it? He is Bob Johnstone, and he is a brand new author. His book is a memoir called Maverick Marketer: Time to Get Creative. Published…

Community

Oceanum Vela

By Chris Szepessy

Oceanum Vela

Giving old race sails a new life for the planet With our global reach, Oceanum Vela strives to make positive moves toward keeping our oceans thriving. We collect Ocean Race Sails that have been around the planet and give them a new life for the planet (#aroundtheplanetfortheplanet).     Here in the U.S., the Clean Water Act has made tremendous progress since 1972 in keeping our waterways and our playground clean and safe to play in. However,…

Community

Sixes in Seattle: The Search for the Lost Fleet

By Tom Darling

Sixes in Seattle: The Search for the Lost Fleet

A century ago, the establishment of a U.S.-UK challenge, the British American Cup (“BAC”) brought with it a golden age of innovative racing keelboat design. In our 2021 Conversations with Classic Boats series on the development of the Six Metre, we marked the BAC as an inflection point in modern yacht racing. The BAC was a challenge in 1921: You designed a boat to the International Six Metre rule (then virtually unknown in the U.S.). Each side…

Community

Classic Finn Organization

By Chris Szepessy

Classic Finn Organization

Story & photos by David Hemenway A group of United States East Coast Finn sailors have started a new organization called the Classic Finn Organization and have developed a website at classicfinns.org. Our goal is to revitalize older, often unused, Finns and get them out sailing. Classic Finns are a great way to go sailing at a reasonable cost in a fantastic boat. This website provides information on available Finns and equipment, in addition to upcoming Finn…

Checking In

2023 National Women’s Sailing Conference June 3 in Newport

By Chris Szepessy

2023 National Women’s Sailing Conference June 3 in Newport

Presented by the National Women’s Sailing Association at Sail Newport The National Women’s Sailing Association (NWSA) is holding their 2023 National Women’s Sailing Conference on Saturday, June 3 from 8 am – 5 pm at the Sail Newport Marine Education and Recreation Center, located at 72 Fort Adams Drive in Newport, RI 02840. The event welcomes women sailors of all levels and ages to workshops including the popular Take the Helm® track — an introduction to sailing…

Community

Newport Readying to Host The Ocean Race

By Chris Szepessy

Newport Readying to Host The Ocean Race

When the 50th Anniversary edition of The Ocean Race reaches the United States in May, the sailing-centric community in Newport, Rhode Island will be out in force to greet Rhode Islander Charlie Enright’s 11th Hour Racing Team and the rest of the IMOCA 60 fleet. “One of my proudest moments came in 2015, the first time we hosted the race,” says Brad Read, Executive Director of Sail Newport. “Thousands of fans waited at Fort Adams State Park through the night…

Community

Hudson River Ice Yachting History

By Tom Darling

Hudson River Ice Yachting History

Our Hardwater Sailing President By Tom Darling, Conversations with Classic Boats Who would have thought that the 32nd President of the United States, a known yachtsman, honed his skills in hardwater sailing on the Hudson River. In fact, Franklin Delano Roosevelt followed in a long family tradition of ice yachting.     Records at the FDR National Historic Site in Hyde Park, New York tell the story of the active ice yachting scene on the Hudson in…

We're glad you're enjoying WindСheck! Create a free account today to get access to more features.Already a subscriber? Sign in

It looks like you are using an ad-blocker! Please disable your ad-blocker to help support local advertisers