July 8 Secor Volvo Fishers Island Sound Race
Some kids from New England could just not wait 3 more years for the return of the race. So with inspiration from the Volvo Ocean Race Newport Stopover a master plan was hatched. The idea… 50 youth sailing teams racing beyond the dizzying buoys of the normal club 420 scene. Starting in Stonington, Connecticut, and sponsored by our premium local car dealer, the “Secor Volvo Fishers Island Sound Race” features a picturesque racetrack around Fishers Island Sound. The ten mile course covers three states (RI, CT & NY) with the “stopovers” at the historic yacht clubs of the sound.
“Our boats might be smaller, our course defiantly shorter, but it’s a sailboat race and we want to win just as bad!” said 12 year old race entrant Lily Flack
Highlights of the Secor Volvo Fishers Island Sound Race:
- Pre-race kickoff party sponsored by Dime Bank with grilling and DJ’s to celebrate in style!
- Live coverage of the sailors parade, start, stopovers, and finish on Periscope TV.
- Live race tracking by RaceQs.
- Overall perpetual trophy for first place skipper and crew presented by Zim Sailing.
- On Board Reporter competition with a $100 grand prize for the best coverage from inside a 420.
- Partnering with Sailors for the Sea to educate our racers about the importance of implementing the Clean Regattas program to make sustainable choices and ensure this regatta protects the ocean.
This July 8th we invite the first 50 teams ages 12 to 17 to join the fun at http://mudratz.com/secor-volvo-island-sound-race/ for what is sure to be a classic inaugural event.