French boat builder Dufour Yachts introduced their new Dufour 36 Performance yacht at the Paris Boat Show in December. Last month, the Northeast Dufour dealer, Northstar Yacht Sales, invited us to the D36 P’s North American debut in Portsmouth, RI.
The D36 P was built to appeal to both the cruiser and the racer. The generous sailplan is balanced by a “T” shaped keel bulb to keep the boat comfortably on its feet without a large crew hiking on the weather rail. The boat is beamy, weight is centralized and waterline is maximized with its plumb bow.
We spent about an hour on the boat off New England Boatworks Basin on the Narragansett Bay in late June. The air was very light (about 5 knots), but even so the boat was lively. It was responsive and comfortable to sail – as crew and driver. The deck is well layed out and the twin wheels offer great visibility. The interior is bright, roomy, comfortable and modern. In the cockpit are removable storage lockers that also serve as seating – a nice feature in the switch to/from cruising and racing mode.
Some of the D36 P’s features include:
• Non-overlapping jib
• Integrated retractable sprit pole (option)
• Twin wheels
• A wide cockpit with removable storage lockers / seating
• Large transom platform
• Wide beam with topside flare aft
• Controls and winches placed to facilitate shorthanded sailing
• Removable cockpit table (optional)
• Teak decking and bow thruster available for true cruisers
• Plumb bow maximizes waterline length
• Hull and deck ports provide plenty of natural light
• Moabi woodwork gives warm atmosphere
• Layout provides good working space
• Abundant storage locations
The Dufour 36 P will be in the Newport Boat Show September 13-16. Or, call the Northstar office at 401-683-9200 for an appointment (northstaryachtsales.com). If you are interested in a cruiser/racer, this boat is well worth visiting.
LOA: 36' Displacement: 14,109 lbs
LWL: 33' 6" Draft: 7’ 2”
Beam: 11' 9" Sail Area: 779 sq ft
Auxiliary: 30 HP Volvo Designer: Umberto Felci